Sunday, November 21, 2010

Is it wrong to discuss your girlfriend's medical stuff with your friends during a break up?

My girlfriend told her friends that I have bipolar disorder during a break up. My Doctors found a cyst in my brain- benign, and I found out she told them about it when they asked how I was doing. My father is sick with cancer and was undergoing a stem-cell transplant in the hospital. And she told them. So, most of what these people know of me is the previously mentioned woes of tragedy. I don't know them very well and we've only hung out 3 times in the year I have dated her. She insisted that I go with her to a party they were throwing this weekend and it was awkward. One of her gay guy friends lashed out at me after I complimented him on his shirt- because ';that's how he is when he is drunk.'; I just sat back and let him start talking so I could figure out what was so weird about hanging out with this group. I can't figure it out though.

She told me that she told a lesbian couple in the group of my medical conditions-b/c she they're her ';friends.'; She wants us to be more social now.Is it wrong to discuss your girlfriend's medical stuff with your friends during a break up?
Yes you definitely have a right to be mad. If she is a nurse then she should know better than anyone about the HIPAA laws that govern privacy. She should not have told any one about your health problems that was not cool at all... I would tell her that what she did was not right, and maybe kick her a** in the process...If I were you, I'd take legal action against her asap. Good luck.Is it wrong to discuss your girlfriend's medical stuff with your friends during a break up?
remember in the future to make a point to let people know what you want to keep private. It doesn't sound like she was gossiping about it but its ok to still feel upset it was very personal information.... i would try to let this go it doesn't have to be a big deal just let her know how it made you feel and let her apologize...
Did you ever tell her it was a secret?

If so you have the right to be mad of course.

If you didn't tell her you don't want her saying anything anymore
while you do have a right to be mad did you ever ask her to keep it private?

also if u rarely see these people what does it matter?

xx
Your medical condition is no ones business. She must be just starting in medical school. It is quite apparent she has not heard of HIPAA laws. Is she keeps this up she will because she will not have a job long. She is opening her self and her school, employer, etc. to a lot of problems.
It's not really kewl to talk about someone's private issues with others. However if you didn't explicitly ask her not to discuss these things, she may have felt it was okay to do so.



Let her know how you feel about it and that in the future you do not want her sharing your private information with anyone else. If you want that stuff known, you'll tell others yourself. If she's not okay with that then either stop sharing things with her, accept that she's a blabbermouth, or move on.
Look, you two are breaking up or have broken up. You need to find your own friends and move on and let her go. Then you don't have to worry about it. And yes, ex's tell others personal info. That is life.
  • red hair
  • one web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment